What is a Wedding First Look?
A wedding First Look is an intimate moment where the bride and groom see each other for the first time – typically before the wedding ceremony. The wedding photographer will set up the couple at the right angles for the best photos to capture this moment from the wedding day.
First Looks before the ceremony have pretty much become a staple on the wedding day. While we still have love for the old school “see him or her for the first time down the aisle” look, there really is something special about capturing that first incredible moment. Not to mention, every time we ask a couple their favorite part of the day, the highlight tends to revolve around those quiet times together before the craziness takes off.
top photo by Eden Strader
8 Reasons Why We LOVE and Recommend a Wedding First Look
- It calms the nerves! Any stress, nerves, jitters or fears will be gone by the time the ceremony starts. You’ll be able to be calmer when walking down the aisle and able to enjoy the ceremony.
- The feelings don’t go away. Most couples (us GWS editors included!) mention the walk down the aisle is JUST as emotional for them. It doesn’t take anything away from that special moment.
- More opportunities for photos! Depending when you do your First Look, you could set aside 30 minutes, an hour or even 2 hours for portraits! This isn’t possible if you do your portraits after your ceremony as you don’t want to miss your reception.
- You won’t miss cocktail hour! This is the time when you would do portraits if you don’t see each other before the ceremony.
- You can CHOOSE the location for your first look! Take a look at the photos below and you’ll get lots of ideas where you can do the first look. Maybe it’s outside your venue, in a room with great light, a staircase – or something totally different from your ceremony!
- If you are having a winter wedding, you lose light quickly and this will allow you to have the best light for your portraits.
- Privacy. I know I wanted to keep this special moment between the two of us – not all of our guests. This really gives you some special time alone on your wedding day as this will probably be the only time you’ll have just the two of you.
- Be present at your wedding. You’ve heard it before – the wedding day FLIES by! By giving the two of you time to take portraits before the ceremony and reception, you’re able to enjoy time with your guests and really be able to be present and soak it all in!
So, in the spirit of why we LOVE a First Look, we’ve rounded up First Looks that will make you cry, laugh, and truly feel the joy! Some are creative, some are breathtaking, and all are a peek inside those human moments that make us LOVE love. After all, there’s nothing like the first time, is there?
In 3, 2, 1…you may now see the bride!
Views for Days
Love So Sweet
photos by Anna Delores Photography
She’s Got a Way
photo by Kami Olavarria Photography
photos by Shelby Spencer
On Top of the World
Pure Happiness First Look
Here She Comes!
Can’t. Even. Believe.
Love Lookin’ Good
Here Comes the Bride
photo by KCM Studios
Feel it All
photo by Leah Moyers
Can’t Hardly Wait
Dad + Daughter First Look
Parents of the Brides
Feel the Love Wedding First Look
Just Behind the Door
Absolutely Epic Wedding First Look
Come Fly With Me
Made You Look!
Best Man’s Got Jokes
Want more First Looks? Check out our gallery for more!