What is a Wedding First Look?
A wedding First Look is an intimate moment where the bride and groom see each other for the first time – typically before the wedding ceremony. The wedding photographer will set up the couple at the right angles for the best photos to capture this moment from the wedding day.
First Looks before the ceremony have pretty much become a staple on the wedding day. While we still have love for the old school “see him or her for the first time down the aisle” look, there really is something special about capturing that first incredible moment. Not to mention, every time we ask a couple their favorite part of the day, the highlight tends to revolve around those quiet times together before the craziness takes off.
top photo by Eden Strader
8 Reasons Why We LOVE and Recommend a Wedding First Look
- It calms the nerves! Any stress, nerves, jitters or fears will be gone by the time the ceremony starts. You’ll be able to be calmer when walking down the aisle and able to enjoy the ceremony.
- The feelings don’t go away. Most couples (us GWS editors included!) mention the walk down the aisle is JUST as emotional for them. It doesn’t take anything away from that special moment.
- More opportunities for photos! Depending when you do your First Look, you could set aside 30 minutes, an hour or even 2 hours for portraits! This isn’t possible if you do your portraits after your ceremony as you don’t want to miss your reception.
- You won’t miss cocktail hour! This is the time when you would do portraits if you don’t see each other before the ceremony.
- You can CHOOSE the location for your first look! Take a look at the photos below and you’ll get lots of ideas where you can do the first look. Maybe it’s outside your venue, in a room with great light, a staircase – or something totally different from your ceremony!
- If you are having a winter wedding, you lose light quickly and this will allow you to have the best light for your portraits.
- Privacy. I know I wanted to keep this special moment between the two of us – not all of our guests. This really gives you some special time alone on your wedding day as this will probably be the only time you’ll have just the two of you.
- Be present at your wedding. You’ve heard it before – the wedding day FLIES by! By giving the two of you time to take portraits before the ceremony and reception, you’re able to enjoy time with your guests and really be able to be present and soak it all in!
So, in the spirit of why we LOVE a First Look, we’ve rounded up First Looks that will make you cry, laugh, and truly feel the joy! Some are creative, some are breathtaking, and all are a peek inside those human moments that make us LOVE love. After all, there’s nothing like the first time, is there?
In 3, 2, 1…you may now see the bride!
Views for Days
photos by Briana Mary Photography + wedding design by Wild Heart Events
Love So Sweet
photos by Anna Delores Photography
She’s Got a Way
photo by Kami Olavarria Photography
photos by Shelby Spencer
On Top of the World
photos by India Earl from this French-Bohemian Wedding
Pure Happiness First Look
photos by Jordan Voth Photography from this Southern Wedding on a Historic Estate
Here She Comes!
photo by Erin McCall from this Modern Wedding with Red Pops
Can’t. Even. Believe.
photo by Laura Goldenberger from this Modern Palm Springs Wedding
Love Lookin’ Good
photo by Molliner Photography from this Elegant Farmhouse Wedding
Here Comes the Bride
photo by KCM Studios
Feel it All
photo by Leah Moyers
Can’t Hardly Wait
photo by Shari and Mike from this Vintage Camp Wedding
Dad + Daughter First Look
photos by Lauren Nicole from this Moody Warehouse Wedding
Parents of the Brides
photos by Magnolia + Ember at The Belle Hollow
Feel the Love Wedding First Look
photo by Katch Silva from this Malibu Winery Wedding
photos by Phil Chester from this Intimate Wedding Guatemala
Just Behind the Door
photo by Plum & Oak Photo from this Tropical-Bohemian Wedding
Absolutely Epic Wedding First Look
photos by Priscila Valentina from this Mountain Elopement in Norway
Come Fly With Me
photo by Shari + Mike from this Wedding in the Canadian Mountains
Made You Look!
photo by Feather & Twine from this Boho Greenhouse Wedding
Best Man’s Got Jokes
photo by Mari Sabra Phtotgraphy from this Backyard Marsh Wedding
Want more First Looks? Check out our gallery for more!
Hahah the best man got him back on his wedding day, love it.
Awesome pictures, love the colors, the emotions and the light!
Oh wow, so many amazing poses!