While the past few years have given rise to the naked cake (we’re big fans), lately we’ve been seeing a new trend — the DRIP CAKE — and we’re completely on board! Essentially it’s a cake where the top has been expertly doused in a liquid icing and it runs/melts down the sides (kind of like lava). However, there’s a catch — it may look like something you can easily DIY, but when the drips get messy and there aren’t definitive lines, it can turn into a #pinterestfail. For that reason, we’re giving some major praise to the creative bakers + decorators of these cakes!
We’ve seen confectionary creations melting with neon icing, dripping with honey, and ones covered in sweet chocolate syrup. Whether the cakes have been softly iced, left naked, or are completely covered in fondant, the drip trend is a fun + funky twist on the classic cake. Prepare to drool as you scroll through our favorite drip masterpieces!
1. This Rustic Honeycomb Cake Dripping with Honey
2. This Blush Funfetti Masterpiece Topped with Macarons
3. This Berry Farm Drizzle Cake
4. This Harvest-Inspired Semi-Naked Cake Drizzled with Caramel
5. This Three-Tier Tuxedo Cake Dripping in Dark Caramel
6. These Individual Cakes Dripping with Caramel + Touches of Gold Leaf
7. This Autumn Stick Season-Inspired Semi-Naked Chocolate Cake
cake by Bentley’s Bakery from this Autumn Stick Season Sorcery-Inspired Shoot in Vermont // photo by Michael Tallman
8. These Ombre Floral Covered Pastel Cakes
9. This Icing + Crumb Donut Forest Cake
10. This Blue + Beautiful, Cheery Springtime Semi-Naked Cake
11. This Cake That Looks Like It’s Straight Out of a Renaissance Painting
cake + photo by Cordy’s Cakes
12. This Simple + Elegant Woodland-Inspired Cake
13. This Copper Covered Cactus Creation
First of all, WOAH. Second of all, YUM! So, who else is on board? Which cakes will you be pinning? What would your *DREAM* drip cake look like? Let us know in the comments below! :)
And a huge THANK YOU (and major applause) to all the expert bakers that contributed to this post. So much appreciation + admiration for you all.