And just like that, Sex and the City is back! Everyone’s favorite ladies are back and better than ever for HBO Max’s new reboot, And Just Like That... And we couldn’t help but wonder..are you just as excited as we are?! Maybe you already watched the first episode? If so, what are your thoughts??!? So many thoughts, but don’t want to spoil anything! If you haven’t watched yet – or if you have and looking to have some fun for the next episodes, we’re bringing you our best tips (and recipes!) to host a viewing party to impress the Charlotte, Carrie, and Miranda in your life. But don’t worry – Samantha’s invited to the festivities, too! After all, she would never miss a great party. Strap on your favorite Manolo’s, and let’s get into it!
Big thanks to Autumn Nomad for all the desserts + cocktails and to Emily Delamater for the photography! And definitely scroll to the end to see a stunning cake inspired by Carrie’s iconic fashions from the original series!
A Newsworthy Menu
We’ll help you take the guesswork out of what to serve for such a dynamic group of ladies. For Miranda, Chinese takeout is the way to go. If you’re feeling so inclined, you can even order her go-to dish from the show. If you need a refresher, it’s chicken and broccoli with brown sauce, brown rice, and cold noodles. You’re welcome! *wink wink* For Charlotte, we’ll keep it light and sweet. Fresh fruit skewers, yummy fro-yo, and cupcakes (Magnolia Bakery is preferred!) will do just the trick. What can we say? The girl is into the classics.
Nothing’s more New York (or Carrie) than a good ol’ cheese pizza. And no, Neopolitan is not an option here! Trust us, the grease of a classic New York slice makes watching the show 10x better. Oh, and don’t forget the cosmo ingredients! We’re getting to that soon!
For Samantha, sleek and sexy sushi just makes sense. It’s every bit as fun and sophisticated as everyone’s favorite, raunchy friend. As for how you choose to display the sushi…well, we’ll leave that up to your discretion.
Ok, let’s take a closer look at some ideas for cocktails and desserts!
The Carrie Cosmo
Would it be a Sex and the City watch party without a cosmopolitan? Yeah, we didn’t think so either. Use this recipe for a foolproof, delicious cocktail your friends will love!
- 2.5 ounces chilled citrus vodka
- 1 ounce Cointreau
- ½ ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ ounce cranberry juice
- Orange twist (for garnish)
- Edible flower (optional garnish)
- Add vodka, Cointreau, fresh lime juice, cranberry juice, and a scoop of ice into a cocktail shaker.
- Shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
- Strain into a chilled martini glass.
- Squeeze orange peel over the glass to “express the oils”. Rub the peel around the rim and garnish on the edge of your glass.
- Garnish with a gold toothpick and edible flower for an extra dose of pretty!
Ginger Manolo Cosmo
This one’s for Samantha! We like to think of her as Carrie’s spicy, feisty counterpart. A little ginger should do just the trick.
- 2 ounces citrus vodka
- 1 ounce Domaine de Canton (ginger liqueur)
- ½ ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ¼ ounce pickled ginger juice
- Splash of ginger simple syrup (see recipe below)
- 1 egg white
- Candied ginger (for garnish)
To Make the Ginger Simple Syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sliced fresh ginger root, peeled
- Recipe: In a medium saucepan, heat sugar and water and stir until dissolved. Add peel and sliced ginger to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover for 15 mins. Remove from heat and let steep for about an hour or until fully cooled. Strain into an airtight container or bottle, and refrigerate.
- Add vodka, Domaine de Canton, fresh lemon juice, pickled ginger juice, and egg white to cocktail shaker.
- Dry shake for 10 seconds or until egg white starts to become frothy.
- Add a scoop of ice to the cocktail shaker and shake for another 10 seconds.
- Strain into a chilled martini glass.
- Garnish with a sugar rim and candied ginger
In honor of this historic reboot, we think shots are in order. This shot is basically a mini cosmo, and it’s the perfect way to hype up the girls for a night of SATC themed fun!
- 1 ½ oz cranberry infused vodka
- ½ oz Cointreau
- Splash of fresh lemon juice
- Splash of fresh orange juice
- Splash of ginger simple syrup
- Sugar-dipped lemon slice (for garnish)
- Add vodka, Cointreau, fresh lemon juice, fresh orange juice, simple syrup, and ice to a cocktail shaker.
- Shake vigorously for 10 seconds
- Serve in a chilled shot glass
- Garnish with sugar-dipped lemon slice
As any loyal viewer knows, it’s not just about the drinks. The ladies are no strangers to enjoying some sweets as well! Finish off your watch party with some showstopping desserts by Autumn Nomad. Seriously – they’re to die for!
Pictured in the front left is the Cosmo Cupcake: a cranberry-infused vanilla cake brushed with Cointreau soak, filled with lime curd, orange buttercream, and garnished with orange peel.
The back glass features a lemon ricotta cookie with vanilla bean mascarpone. The front right martini glass is the Cosmo Cupcake topped with a chocolate crinkle cookie. We’ll take four of each, please!
Macarons like these deserve to be displayed in an iridescent champagne flute! These pink and gold macarons are sure to sweeten your guest’s night almost as much as Miranda in her Betty Crocker phase.
Last but not least, a formal ode to the beloved newspaper dress – in the form of cookies! These would be great to DIY with your best gals while watching the new series unfold. The decorating possibilities are truly endless.
And now for that cake we promised! As an ode to some of Carrie’s iconic fashions, this cake celebrates those looks in a stunning way! Can you guess what looks inspired this cake? If you need a hint, check this post out.
Sex and the City’s reboot, ‘And Just Like That…‘ airs every Thursday on HBO Max.