Self-care is in the air these days, isn’t it? We’re ALL for it: from quiet meditation to sweaty runs, journaling to long baths. Admitting that it’s okay to take a little time for ourselves and give some love where we tend to neglect it most is one trend where we’re 100% on board! And so today, brides-to-be, this one’s for you. Close all the tabs, stop worrying about the __________ (bridesmaids dresses, caterer, budget — you get it), take a few deep breaths and remember why you started. LOVE! But, while we know that you’re about to embark on a lifetime of love with your partner, today it’s all about you. Treat. Yo. Self.
No matter how you prefer to practice self-care, we’re big fans of incorporating pure essential oils along the way. If you’ve yet to explore the world of essential oils, there are SO many benefits. We’re talking healthy hair + skin, support for your digestive + immune systems — they can even help combat anxiety and stress! This guide is meant to help you every step of the wedding-planning way.
How to Use Essential Oils 101
There 3 ways to use essential oils: topically, internally, and aromatically.
- Topically: Add a drop to your wrist or the back of your neck to harness the oil’s healing powers! You can also make a body oil by mixing a few drops with a carrier oil (like fractionated coconut oil or olive oil) and keeping it stored in a glass jar. Apply as needed.
- Internally: Depending on the need, certain oils can do wonders when ingested. Be sure to consult specific directions first, but we’ve got a few specific examples of how to use oils internally for you below.
- Aromatically: The simplest way to benefit from essential oils is via aromatherapy. Take a whiff straight from the bottle, add some drops to a scarf or cotton ball, or put some on a washcloth in the shower and inhale that goodness. You can also diffuse oils around the house!
Which leads us to…
Diffusers are the best way to use essential oils aromatically. Combine a few drops of oil with water (5-10, depending on the size of the room) and inhale. It doesn’t get easier than that! Bonus: these diffusers are super chic and look cute on your desk, in the bathroom, on a nightstand…yep. Anywhere! (We LOVE this stone Vitruvi diffuser!)
For Emotional Health
If your stressed or anxious:
Lavender | The king of all essential oils, lavender is famous for is calming capabilities. Restorative and stable, this oil can help with anything from sleepless nights to irritability.
- Try it: Create a calming linen mist by combining 10-15 drops of lavender with water in a glass spray bottle. Spray on your pillow before bed.
Orange or Lemon | Citrus oils are high in limonene, believed to aid in calming anxiety.
- Try it: Put a drop your on wrist, in your water, or on your spine.
A Blend like Young Living’s “Stress Away” | Most major oil companies will have a blend to help combat stress. We love Stress Away because, between the vanilla extract and lime oil, it smells like a margarita!
- Try it: Place a warm compress with a few drops of essential oil over your eyes for meditation in the morning, or anytime before a big event.
If you need a mood booster:
Patchouli | Best used aromatically, smelling patchouli releases serotonin and dopamine. Instant mood lift! PS: This oil also stimulates blood circulation, and it’s known for its properties as an aphrodisiac. (Ooo lala!)
- Try it: Pair patchouli with a workout and soar on a combo of happy hormones and endorphins!
Ylang Ylang | These blooms were traditionally used to promote happy dreams and helps promote feelings of joy and hope.
- Try it: Diffuse at bedtime and drift away into dreams of the honeymoon.
For Physical Health
If you need energy:
Peppermint | One of our all time favorites, peppermint can be used for a variety of things like eliminating nerves, nausea, clearing sinuses and halting headaches. But if you’ve got a day ahead that requires more than coffee, skip the sugary energy drink and take a whiff of peppermint instead!
- Try it: Keep a bottle in your purse and inhale as needed. Put a drop in your mouth for a pick-me-up and (bonus) fresh breath!
If you feel a cold coming on:
Oregano | It doesn’t go down easy, but oregano is a powerhouse! It’s antiviral, antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-parasitic. Buh bye, cold.
- Try it: Place a drop under your tongue to absorb the strong antioxidants.
- Try it: When it comes to sickness before the wedding, you can’t do too much! In addition to diffusing, put a drop on the bottom of your feet for optimal absorption. For a cold-busting tea, add 2-3 drops to a cup of herbal tea with local honey and lemon. Repeat morning and night.
If you had one too many celebratory drinks (or meals):
Lemon | Pure oil from lemons helps support your digestive system by restoring pH balance. This means it becomes alkaline in the body. And THIS means your body can better absorb minerals. All working together to keep you healthy and regular.
- Try it: Add a drop to a warm cup of water every morning to improve health in a variety of ways (boost immunity, healthy skin, and aid in digestion).
If you want to curb cravings:
Grapefruit | Grapefruit is a natural appetite suppressant, thanks to it’s fancy flavonoids. If you’re on track to be your healthiest version of yourself come wedding day, grapefruit is a great supporter. Also, it’s known to reduce cellulite!
- Try it: Add 2 drops to a LaCroix for a refreshing afternoon drink. For cellulite, rub it on your skin with coconut oil once or twice a day.
Our Favorite Essential Oil Beauty Tips + Recipes
- Whiten Teeth: Add a drop of orange oil to your toothbrush, along with toothpaste, every time you brush. When essential oils are cold-pressed, the acidity won’t effect the enamel on your teeth!
- For Fast Hair Growth + Anti-Frizz: Apply this DIY Mermaid Hair Serum to wet hair! Combine in a small fine mist glass spray bottle: 30 drops lavender + 30 drops cedarwood + 20 drops rosemary + splash of witch hazel + water to fill bottle. The cedarwood and rosemary stimulate hair growth and lavender promotes cleanliness!
- For Clear Skin: Frankincense oil protects your skin cells as a powerful astringent. Apply with coconut oil as a daily moisturizer to reduce the appearance of large pores AND acne, and prevent wrinkles.
Quick note! We aren’t doctors, nor are we prescribing anything. Please consult specific instructions on oils before ingesting, especially if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Cheers to your best self on your big day!
Save this image to your board so you can reference this post when you need it! :)