Mia is from Sydney, Guillermo is from San Francisco and the two of them met in the romantic city of Paris. After living in New York for two years, they now call Sydney, Australia home. Despite all of the beautiful places the’ve lived + been, they decided to get married at Casa Tortugas in the town of San Miguel de Allende in Mexico. They wanted a dream like wedding and San Miguel delivered big. Not only is their stylish day beautifully enviable, but we thought it’d be a perfect way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, too!
Mia tells us more, The main inspiration was of course Mexico and the very special town of San Miguel De Allende. San Miguel is such an amazing place, the old world architecture, the local food, the art and the warm people. You just want to grab it and give it a big giant hug and a kiss! Our wedding was always going to be a Mexican affair. Guillermo has a Mexican background, (he even proposed on the Sydney Opera House steps at 7am with a mariachi band) So we knew we had to follow the Mexican theme we had going on and what better way than a wedding in the most enchanting town the stunning San Miguel de Allende in the middle of Mexico, 3 hours drive from Mexico City to be exact!
Thanks so much to Alicia Vilar for the gorgeous planning + design and to Pierce Lifetsyle Photography for the picture-perfect photography! And most of all, big congrats to Mia + Guillermo on a magical day!
And loving her bridesmaids’ looks too! Their mismatched black dresses + bright flower crowns were just right.
They were married in the beautiful Church of San Francisco in the town center. So stunning…
And they excited the church with a processional to remember! There was a donkey, giant puppets, a mariachi band + parade!
One of the most memorable moments was stepping away from the festivities by ourselves to take photos with the photographer. It was a surreal type feeling being all dressed up in this tiny cobblestone laneway in the middle of Mexico. A very intimate moment, the sun was setting and the streets started to glow orange. It was just us, a few locals passing by and the beautiful backdrop of San Miguel.
The reception had a magical, dream-like feel reminiscent of an intimate party in a secret garden.
- Go all out! it is your wedding day after all! If you want hanging flowers go there!
- If you can afford a wedding planner.. hire one! Takes so much stress of your shoulders! If your thinking a destination wedding this is really the only way to do it! They know the town and no what you can and cant do.
- Pay attention to your shoes. I was told not to worry too much about my shoe choice as I was wearing a long dress... I didn't realize that half the pics were of me holding up my skirt to walk!
- Don't stress too much on what your bridesmaid's are wearing its the overall that the guests are looking at.
- It's always nice to have something that your guests can put on and wear ie: flower crown or pin or a general dress code theme. Looks fab in photos!
photography: Pierce Lifetsyle Photography // venue name: Casa Tortugas, San Miguel de Allende in GTO, Mexico // event design: Alicia Vilar // planning: Alicia Vilar // wedding dress: The Wedding Boutique // hairpiece: Organized by San Miguel Weddings // groom attire: Mister.Mister